Sunday, May 11, 2014

Random Tidbit and Decisions on Workshop Submission

Tidbit from conferences I've attended - Agents have said that they sometimes get very well-polished first couple of chapters with a query letter but when they ask for a partial or full, the rest of the writing is a mess.  So, we need to make sure our whole book is ready to go.

And now to my dilemma -
My challenge today is to select 5,000 words for my last workshop of the OWC program.  Do I resubmit the first couple of chapters to get more feedback on it after making some small changes to it or do I submit a portion later in the book that hasn't been read as often and has larger chunks that I've added to it?

Benefits to submitting the early stuff - I would have another read of the first two chapters which would help with submissions to agents.
Problems with it - I've had it read many times before.  Each time it gets better but what about the other portions?

Benefits to submitting the later stuff - Although it has also been read, there are some new portions that I added based on feedback I received. If an agent wants to read more material, it would be good to have more polished portions throughout the book.
Problems with it - If I can't get an agent past the beginning portion of the book, the rest won't matter anyway.

Off to go decide now...




No comments:

Post a Comment